Monday, January 16, 2012

The dangers of living in a bubble...

Before getting into the meat of the blog, I will say that any time you write, teach or lead, it forces you to examine yourself in the light of what you are writing/teaching/leading.  So, that has certainly been done on this topic.  I grew up in a small town and live in a reasonably small city now (that I really like), but I have worked with many different cultures, traveled a few places and have friends that frequently travel or currently live outside of the U.S.  I've had some conversations lately concerning people that I perceive to live in a social bubble and the concerns I have specifically for kids that grow up in this circumstance.  If you are born in an area where everyone is the same socioeconomic status and race as your family, I think it really creates a dangerous situation for your world view.  As parents, we need to be intentional about having our kids understand that the world does not revolve around our current situation.  Specific to Jesus and the Bible, I don't think you can simultaneously follow Christ and be a racist.  I've been thinking on this for a while, but MLK day seems like an appropriate time to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment